Thursday, April 17, 2014

A Piece for the Portfolio

        He simply stared at me. He had just come home from a long trip abroad and was standing in the doorway of the kitchen where I was pretending to eat cornflakes. They had gone soggy while I waited for him to come home. He hadn't even put his bags down before I sprung this information on him and he just stood there carrying them and staring at me. A steel ball slowly formed itself in the pit of my stomach and I felt like I was seconds away from throwing up bile into the sink behind me. My dread increased while I waited for a response or any small indication that he understood what I said to him. Usually so passionate about certain things, I expected a range of emotions to color his strong face and contort his features into something heartbreaking. But that didn't happen. He just stood there, staring at me. The clock on the wall to the left of his head made the only sounds. It's ticks seemed to keep time with the downbeat of my heart. I realized I hadn't been breathing when a dull ache started to form in my chest. I convinced myself to slowly exhale and then inhale. The cadence of my breathing joined the symphony of otherwise imperceptible sounds, the clock acting as metronome. And still he only stared.
       Fear, guilt, and embarrassment suffused my body with a heat radiating out from my scalp. I didn't deserve him and he damn sure didn't deserve what I kept putting him through. I moved toward him and stopped. He didn't budge. “David?” I asked. He twitched at the sound of my voice as it painfully invaded the silence, but he didn't respond. “David.” I persisted and took another step toward him. “I'm sorry, I'm scared, and I'm embarrassed. Can you please say something?”
“My um,” he started. He cleared his throat and tried again. “These bags are heavy.” he said very quietly. “I'm going to put them down.” He stood there for another beat before making his way to the bedroom we shared. I wondered if we still would after that day. When he left, I started to dump the congealed contents of the bowl and then I sat down at the table with my head in my hands. It wasn't long before I heard his voice behind me. “Where was he?”
       “What?”
       “Was he here? Was he in the living room? Did he eat here on this table? Did he watch tv in that chair?” he asked with growing intensity. His anger started to boil out, but by the time it reached his face it cooled into sadness and, what almost killed me to see again, betrayal. He paced the floor grinding his palms into his eyes. I put my head back in my hands praying that we would get through this again this time. But while I sat there, I couldn't even promise myself that it would be the last time. That was when the dam broke. Tears leaked from my eyes and snaked their way down my wrists before falling to the table and pooling at my elbows. “Why the fuck are you crying? I should be the one crying!” He shouted. When I looked at him, he had taken of his jacket, his tie was loosened and his sleeves were rolled up. A large vein protruded from his neck which had turned and ugly red and the color was crawling up his face. “I'm out trying to make a life for us and you're making a fool of me.” It almost sounded like he was pleading. “I have to walk around with this embarrassment and these pitying looks from my family while you go out cheating on me with Sean Lewis.” He emphasized his speech by ripping the microwave out of the wall and throwing it onto the floor. I had never been so terrified. “Where did you it? Answer me right now. Was it here?” I nodded. “Where?”I didn't respond. I looked away. “Where the fuck was he, Jason? The front room?” I shook my head. “The basement?”
       “No,” I whispered.

       “The bathroom?” I was silent. There was only place left that he hadn't mentioned. “I swear to God,” he muttered as the answer dawned on him. I could almost hear his heart breaking. “You guys were in that bedroom weren't you? You had sex in that bedroom with someone else even though that's the space that we made ours. Even though the memory of us there was still fresh in the sheets. But why should I have expected more from you? You spread your legs for him anytime he blows in your direction.” He made his way out of the kitchen and I tried to pull him back, but he just shook me off. He kept going straight out the front door. It was different this time, though. Almost like he wasn't coming back.
--
It still needs some revision, though. It has some unnatural dialogue

No comments:

Post a Comment