Sunday, April 13, 2014

Explanation Part Two

       I guess I don't really know where this story is going. It's very loosely based on a story I once read called "I'll Get There, It Better Be Worth the Trip," written in 1969 about twelve-year-olds exploring their sexuality. The main character is still confused by the end and they never do more than kiss. It's very tame by today's standards but, when it was written, homosexuality was not written about, especially when preteens were the ones with the struggle.
       I want it to have that kind of innocence to it. With a climax that's just kind of a slow plateau. I'm not sure how to do it without being boring. "I'll Get There" is both very simple and entertaining. Obviously, this topic isn't as groundbreaking as it was 45 years ago, and my characters are a little older, but I'd like it to put a modern spin on  the same freshness of John Donovon's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment