Monday, April 14, 2014

In-Class Assignment

Wednesday, February 13, 1909

I'm proud of my heritage. I was born on this island, and my parents were born on this island, and my grandparents were born on this island. My babouli (great-grandfather) was not born on this island. He came here from afar many years ago. Sometimes, when he's angry, he speaks in a funny language. It's almost like the language spoken by the men on the whaling boats, but it's different, too. I hate having to speak this new language. It's ugly. My mama still speaks to me in the creole, and I speak to my sister in the creole, but she doesn't understand it. She learned the expansionist language in school and refuses to learn the creole because they taught her to be afraid of it. My sister is a first generation. She was born a year after the law was put into place, so she doesn't know any better.

I have to speak the expansionist language when I am in public, but I still hate it. The older kids still speak the creole language, too, but not as much anymore. Once the school started making examples of kids, they kind of just stopped. Sometimes kids get suspended, if they're out, their parents might get fined. We only speak it with each other when we know for sure that we're alone. Since my sister and the other younger kids don't know the language at all, I'm afraid it's going to go away forever. I can't imagine never hearing my language again. Why do we have to switch over anyway? What are they trying to prove?

No comments:

Post a Comment