Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Part Three Explained

       I'm not sure if that piece is finished or not. It feels like it's missing something, but I don't know what. I don't know if I'm satisfied with it as a proper homage to Donovan's work or as a message to my friend...
       Don't get me wrong, though, I love it as a story. I don't usually write romances, so it's really good for a genre I'm not completely comfortable with. I just feel like I didn't hit the marks I wanted to. For instance, the last paragraph there is supposed to be repetition of when he first realized he'd be sitting with Harrison in class, but it kind of feels superfluous. I really want it to be there, but I don't know how to make it feel like it belongs there.
       Actually, though, upon reading it again, I think it does still have some of the innocence of Donovan's work. It's a bit more modern to keep up with the times (texting, facebook), but I think it's still there. There's still something missing, though lol
       Another good quality of it is the character development. I really like Harrison's character. He's surprisingly mature and confident for a high schooler. Especially for a partially closeted gay high schooler.And he's patient enough with Naldo to help him figure things out for himself, and he'd be friends with him either way, even if he would want him to eventually come around and be comfortable enough to go out with him regularly as a potential romantic couple. I don't think he would ever feel threatened by Naldo's uncertainty and I admire that about him. Also, I love his honesty and blatantness. He's not the type to beat around the bush and he's always forthcoming with his intentions. These are qualities that don't usually come about until you've been around the block a few times when you're older and are tired of playing around.
       I guess, though, I should stop talking about him like he's not a complete figment of my imagination, therefore can be perfect and it's unremarkable ha ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No comments:

Post a Comment